Aug 21, 2018
Program Director: Dr. Janette Kelly
The Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) Endorsement is designed for candidates interested in completing a competency-based sequence of courses at a baccalaureate degree level or higher. This endorsement provides an additional level of specific training and experiences for professionals who provide educational services for the population of students presenting with various autism spectrum disorders. It will allow professional educators holding this endorsement to address the complex needs of students with ASD in various classroom and school settings. Education professionals achieving this endorsement will have demonstrated competencies related to research -based assessment, intervention, instruction, and program management for student with ASD. Students will gain the knowledge and experience necessary to work with family members with ASD and the broader community. (from the PDE guidelines)
This one-year, online program is 12 credits and requires a total of 80 hours of field experiences integrated into each course. The program will conclude with a mandatory conference at Saint Francis University in which all candidates for the endorsement will collaborate and assess the interpersonal experiences of the program.
- Professional: Candidates for the professional track must have a minimum of a bachelor's degree in one of the following fields (not limited to): PT, OT, PA, Nursing, Social Work, Psychology, Sociology or Behavior Specialist.
- PDE Endorsement: Candidates must have an Instructional I or Instructional II certificate through the Pennsylvania Department of Education.
Candidates for the Autism Spectrum Disorder Endorsement must complete the following materials for consideration of acceptance for this endorsement program.
- Application and $30 application fee made payable to Saint Francis University
- Two letters of professional recommendation
- A minimum undergraduate and/or graduate grade point average of 3.0 or higher is required
- Copy of Instructional I or Instructional II certificate for candidates pursuing endorsement through PDE
- Official transcripts of all undergraduate and graduate course work completed
- Clearances must all be current at the time of program initiation and copies submitted
- Criminal Background Check
- Child Abuse Clearance
- FBI Clearance
- TB Test
- Sexual Misconduct Certification
- Act 24
Endorsement Course Requirements
Courses listed in the 400-series should be registered by undergraduate students, and courses listed in the 500-series should be registered by students who already have earned a bachelor's degree and are pursuing the Autism Spectrum Disorder Endorsement.
PDE Endorsement: Students must have successfully completed all requirements of the endorsement program prior to completing the TIMS online application for endorsement approval. There is a $125 fee to add this endorsement to an already existing Instructional certificate.
SFU Certificate: Candidates who do not have a state issued instructional certificate will receive a certificate from Saint Francis University upon successful completion of the program.