Chair: Dr. Justin Merry, email@example.com, 814-471-1105
Coordinator: Dr. Susan Reimer, firstname.lastname@example.org, 814-472-3086
The Biology, B.S., Pre-Medicine Concentration is a biology degree designed to prepare students for careers in medicine, dentistry, optometry, veterinary medicine, or related professional disciplines. Students specialize in the fundamental biological processes of the human body, gaining a foundation in the function of cells and tissues. Students develop advanced lab skills in molecular biology that can be used to diagnose and research disease, such as vertebrate cell culture, advanced microscopy, polymerase chain reaction, genomics, and protein assays. Includes specialized advising and mentoring to help students prepare for entrance exams and other admissions requirements for professional schools.
(Pre-Dental, Pre-Medical, Pre-Optometry, Pre-Podiatry, Pre-Veterinary, Pre-Chiropractic)
Student Learning Outcomes:
Upon successful completion of the program, students will be able to:
- Employ the scientific method, including the use of discipline-specific techniques, to discover and validate biological knowledge;
- Demonstrate scientific literacy through reading, writing, presenting, and discussing research;
- Demonstrate knowledge of how atoms and molecules interact to permit the function of living systems, and how cells sense, control, and respond to stimuli in their environments;
- Demonstrate knowledge of molecular genetics and how this leads to the expression and inheritance of traits;
- Explain how organisms reproduce and develop, how their anatomical structure permits function, how they maintain internal conditions, and how they sense and respond to external stimuli, across the full range of biological diversity;
- Describe how evolution by natural selection explains the unity and diversity of life on earth, and articulate how organisms interact at the population, community, and ecosystem levels.
Estimated Completion Time:
Typically 4 years of full-time study
The senior capstone requirement is completed by taking BIOL 402 Evolution.
Total Credits Required: