Chair: Dr. Angela Seidel, firstname.lastname@example.org, 814-472-3076
The Management Information Systems Program prepares students to analyze, design, develop, implement, integrate, manage, and maintain management information systems and information technology. The program carefully and effectively blends a solid business administration education with the technical and conceptual aspects of computer-based information systems and e- commerce. Students in the MIS program will need to think critically, solve problems, command effective communication skills, acquire high-caliber computer science knowledge and skills, and develop general business information systems acumen. Students study information systems, database management, applied computer programming with business applications, network and data communications, system analysis and design, decision support systems, and e-commerce. The program prepares graduates for positions of leadership in information management careers, such as information systems manager, information systems analyst, network administrator, data communications specialist, information technology specialist, database administrator, telecommunication manager, web master, and e-commerce consultant.
The Entrepreneurship Concentration is designed to inform, inspire, and empower students to engage in entrepreneurial thinking and related activities. Such activities range from using critical thinking, creativity, and problem solving as a future employee within an existing enterprise as an intrapreneur; to solving broader social and economic problems deploying entrepreneurial thinking in communities through Social Entrepreneurship; and to being an active participant in the creation of a business start-up. Entrepreneurship effectively blends theory with practice to create a meaningful and relevant value proposition, taking into account both risk and return, that integrates a number of different academic perspectives such as economics, philosophy, law, finance, politics, and marketing together.
Saint Francis University has received specialized accreditation for its business programs through the International Assembly for Collegiate Business Education (IACBE), located in Lenexa, Kansas.
Student Learning Outcomes:
The Shields School of Business will graduate students who have the knowledge, skills, love of learning, confidence, drive, and ethical and moral values needed to be spiritually fulfilled in life and successful in professional careers. Upon completion of this program, students are able to:
- Demonstrate, in the Spirit of Saint Francis in the Marketplace, knowledge of the ethical value choices and responsibilities of businesses and business leaders.
- Demonstrate knowledge of the fundamental principles in business in the functional areas of accounting, information systems, finance, management, and marketing.
- Demonstrate knowledge of the legal, social, economic environments of business.
- Demonstrate knowledge of the global dimension of business.
- Integrate the functional areas of business in the process of decision making.
- Demonstrate the ability to professionally communicate.
This program has rolling admission.
Estimated Completion Time:
4 Years, Full Time
Total Credits Required:
128 credits minimum
Progression and/or Retention Criteria
- Over the past 5 years, over 98% of School of Business graduates have been gainfully employed or enrolled in graduate school within one year of graduation.
- Exit survey results indicate that over 99% of School of Business graduates feel prepared for their respective careers upon graduation.