Chair: Dr. Angela Seidel, email@example.com, 814-472-3076
The Accounting/Accelerated MBA, B.S. program not only prepares students in the field of accounting but also provides special academic programming and the ability to accelerate the completion of the MBA program through a 6-credit waiver of MBA course work and by earning 9 credits in partial completion of the undergraduate degree that will fulfill requirements in the MBA program. Upon successful completion of all undergraduate degree requirements, and if all progression standards are met, students will be automatically accepted into the MBA program and will not be required to complete the GMAT exam. Beyond preparing students for enrollment in the graduate MBA program, the program prepares students to enter private, public, or governmental accounting in a variety of fields including financial accounting, cost accounting, auditing, taxes, and financial analysis. The program begins with comprehensive coverage of generally accepted accounting principles as a basis of recording business transactions and preparing financial statements. Once this foundation is established, students develop critical thinking skills to analyze financial statements, control costs, prepare budgets, and make decisions based on accounting data.
Saint Francis University has received specialized accreditation for its business programs through the International Assembly for Collegiate Business Education (IACBE), located in Lenexa, Kansas.
Student Learning Outcomes:
The Shields School of Business will graduate students who have the knowledge, skills, love of learning, confidence, drive, and ethical and moral values needed to be spiritually fulfilled in life and successful in professional careers. Upon completion of this program, students are able to:
- Demonstrate, in the Spirit of Saint Francis in the Marketplace, knowledge of the ethical value choices and responsibilities of businesses and business leaders.
- Demonstrate knowledge of the fundamental principles in business in the functional areas of accounting, information systems, finance, management, and marketing.
- Demonstrate knowledge of the legal, social, economic environments of business.
- Demonstrate knowledge of the global dimension of business.
- Integrate the functional areas of business in the process of decision making.
- Demonstrate the ability to professionally communicate.
In addition to common University admission requirements, the program requires the following:
- SAT score of 1150 or higher in critical reading and math or an ACT composite score of 22 or higher;
- GPA of 3.4 on a 4.0 scale.
The program has rolling admission.
Progression and/or Retention Criteria:
All students in the accelerated Accounting BS/MBA program must meet the following academic requirements in order to have guaranteed admission to the MBA program upon completion of the undergraduate degree requirements. Failure to meet the progression standards will result in dismissal from the major but not the university. This includes all accelerated majors leading to the MBA or MHRM program approved by the University.
- At any time after earning 30 credits but before earning 60 credits, the student must have achieved a minimum overall cumulative QPA of 2.750. Failure to have achieved this QPA will result in Department Academic Warning.
- At any time after earning 60 credits but before earning 90 credits, the student must have achieved a minimum overall cumulative QPA of 3.000. Failure to achieve this QPA will result in dismissal from the major.
- At any time after earning 90 credits and upon graduation from the undergraduate program, the student must have achieved a minimum overall cumulative QPA of 3.200. Failure to achieve this QPA will result in dismissal from the major.
Students dismissed from the Accounting/Accelerated MBA major should contact their academic advisor to select another major. Dismissed students can still apply for admission to the MBA program upon completion of their undergraduate degree however, there is no acceleration option and acceptance is not guaranteed.
Estimated Completion Time:
4 Years, Full Time
All students complete the three-credit course MGMT401, Strategic Management, which serves as the capstone for all undergraduate business programs. Among other learning experiences, this course includes a simulation that requires students to synthesize and apply learning from across the business domains of accounting, economics, finance, marketing, management, and information systems.
Total Credits Required:
128 credits minimum
Students in this accelerated program may take up to 9 credits of graduate MBA courses that can be utilized to fulfill both free electives in the undergraduate program and requirements in the MBA program.