Go to information for Education for more details.
Director: Mrs. Melissa Peppetti, email@example.com, 814-472-3068
The post-baccalaureate teacher certification program is designed for individuals who hold a bachelor’s degree and seek to qualify for Pennsylvania state teacher certification at the secondary level (grades 7-12).
Saint Francis University programs that lead to teaching certification have been approved by the Pennsylvania Department of Education
The Graduate Education department offers six content-specific areas of study in cooperation with the content area departments. Each leads to its own certification with required courses and Praxis exams:
Estimated Completion Time:
Typically 2+ years of part-time study
Applicants must provide the following:
- Online Application and $30 application fee made payable to Saint Francis University;
- Two letters of professional recommendation;
- A minimum undergraduate grade point average of 3.0 is required. If candidate’s GPA is less than 3.0; he or she may be accepted on a provisional basis while taking up to nine (9) credits. The student must obtain a minimum GPA of 3.0 in the first nine credits to be admitted to the program. If these requirements are not met the student will not be admitted to the program.
- Official transcripts of all undergraduate and graduate course work completed.
The program has rolling admission.
Progression and/or Retention Criteria:
- A minimum average of 3.0 must be maintained throughout the program. If a student falls below the 3.0 requirement he or she will be placed on academic probation for the next semester. Student’s continued eligibility in the program will depend on the GPA in the semester following the low GPA. If the student’s GPA does not go above the 3.0, after being placed on probation, the student is subject to dismissal from the program.
- Students must complete required clinical observations for each of the courses requiring clinical hours.
- Student must successfully complete the student teaching in the content area.
- Successful completion of required Praxis tests.
See Education for information on student teaching, student learning outcomes for pre-service teachers, certification information, and more.
Total Credits Required:
- Biology, post-baccalaureate teacher certification = 97 credits
- Chemistry, post-baccalaureate teacher certification = 90 credits
- English, post-baccalaureate teacher certification = 78 credits
- Mathematics, post-baccalaureate teacher certification = 84 credits
- Social Studies, post-baccalaureate teacher certification = 99 credits